Since today just so happens to be St. Patty’s Day, I thought it would be fun to post some “Green” investment ideas…..these are from various sources and are not offered up as an explicit recommendation by me! With the word “Green” we are talking about the clean energy industry – ie – solar, wind, electric, etc. It seems this industry had tons of players before but most were not profitable. Times are beginning to change however.
Based on sources, here are some ideas….
- Power Shares Global Clean Energy Portfolio (PBD)…..source = Zacks…..an ETF that tracks the WilderHill New Energy Global Innovation Index. It is comprised of 100 clean energy stocks – up over 14% YTD. SMA Solar, GT Advanced Tech, and Tesla Motors account for its top holdings.
- First Trust NASDAQ Clean Edge Green Energy Fund (QCLN)……source = Zacks….an ETF invested in more medium size companies focused on clean energy which includes solar, biofuels, advanced batteries, etc. Tesla is its largest holding followed by Linear Tech, Cree, ITC Holdings, and First Solar.
- Guggenheim Solar (TAN)……source = Zacks…..an ETF concentrated on solar energy. It has 24 stocks with around 80% of these holdings made up of semiconductor names. REC Silicon, GT Advanced Tech, SunEdison, and SolarCity account for their largest holdings.
- Accell Group NV (ACGPF)…..source = Forbes….bike company in the Netherlands – poised to take advantage of the Northern European electric bike movement. Cheap valuation with strong dividend yield.
- Allianz RCM Global Water (AWTAX)…..source = altenergystocks.com. Environmental services fund that owns companies such as Danaher Corp, Pentair, and American Water Works.